Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Quasi-Vegans

Bob and I are quasi-vegans.

We are being held against our will.

Before we came to India, I was already a strict vegetarian.  Bob's favorite food was beef.  Then he got almost fatal food poisoning from chicken here, and he decided that he would become a vegetarian until we leave.

When I first became a vegetarian, at the end of college, I was a vegan for exactly three days.  During which I mostly cried because I was so hungry.  So I started eating all my favorite things again: eggs, yogurt, butter, and most importantly, ice cream.  Based on my reasons for becoming a vegetarian (which I won't get into), it makes more sense to be a vegan, but I'm just not one of those kids.  I can't pull it off.

Now we don't have a choice.  The problems with my favorite animal products are listed below.

Milk
It is straight nasty here.  It comes out of a box that sits on a shelf in a store until you buy it.  It tastes, um, sick.  That is the best adjective I can think of.  There is soy milk here, which we have with our cereal, but it is a lot sweeter than the soy milk at home. Cloyingly sweet.  I've been skipping breakfast all together lately.

Cheese 
The slices taste worst than government cheese.  The only other option is paneer, which is like cubed cottage cheese.  There is something about it that just isn't right.  I think I could get used to it if I tried harder (and felt desperate enough).

Eggs 
Taste very good.  Make my stomach hurt very bad.

Ice cream 
They have ice cream at the store.  We got it once.  It does not taste like ice cream.  It tastes like frozen milk.  See note on milk, above.

Yogurt
We do eat yogurt here, but this is no Yoplait.  It's called curd, it tastes like really sour sour cream, and you eat it with spicy food.  It's good, but it's not a breakfast food.

Butter 
We eat butter as well.  It is the only thing keeping me sane.  Mainly, we eat it on toast or chapatis (these little homemade tortillas we make).  We don't have an oven in our apartment though, so we don't make cookies or cake or anything.

Bob is surprisingly holding it together pretty well.  I am on the brink of self-destruction.  Will someone mail me some Orange Leaf?  Or any kind of ice cream?  Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment