Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Getting frisky

Today is the first day I've spent in the apartment alone.  Our FRO trip was postponed until later this week... I know, I'm so sad.  So, I've just been laying around and trying to find ways to occupy myself until Bob gets home in 5 hours and 43 minutes.  One of the ways I've been occupying myself is counting down the minutes until Bob gets home.

I was also thinking about some of the small trips we've made out into the city, to malls, the movies, the grocery, and to some larger markets, and I remembered something I've yet to really think about until now.  Every time you enter a building here, whether it be the Metro or a mall, someone feels you up.  For real.  And they aren't shy.

The first time this happened, Bob and I were getting on the Metro, and I followed him dutifully into a long line of men waiting to walk through the metal detector (these are also at the entrances of most buildings, and if you have a bag they search it too and run it through an xray machine).  As we approached the front of the line, which was moving so quickly it hardly seemed like a line, he said, "Oh my gosh babe.  You should go to the women's line.  I didn't even think about it."  You didn't think about it?!  "What a narrow escape from a security guard that surely would have violated me," I thought in the voice of an annoying, highly private, highly individual, very selfish, very American woman that occasionally creeps into my mind. 

Honestly, I maintain that the security guard merely would have informed me that I needed to go to the other line.  Bob maintains that he would have had his way with me :)

Anyway, it got me thinking about how everyone was complaining a while back about those super high power scanning machines that could see your everything in airports, and how if you wouldn't let those machines scan you, you had to get frisked by an airport security guard, which would undoubtedly turn out to be the worst experience in your life.  And I have one thing to say to those complainers. Get over it freaks! Try having an Indian woman feel you up right before you buy some mangoes and other breast-shaped fruit.  It just doesn't feel right.

I'm kidding.  At first, all the frisking and searching and scanning made me wonder what, exactly, all the precautions were protecting us from.  Although I haven't completely rationalized it to myself, I do understand that it's just a way of life here.  No one makes a big deal about it, no one complains, and honestly, it's not that bad.  If all else fails, it'll wake you up on that sleepy morning run to the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment