Saturday, April 16, 2011

Cricket match!

So I realized that I didn't say anything about the cricket match in my last post... Here are my experiences!

  • The cricket match is in old delhi, so I go to meet the guys there. Apparently they forgot about meeting me and went straight into the game. Mike apparently said, "Hey, wheres Bob? Oh no! Bob". He called me and everything was fine and I met up with them and we got in there ok.
  • When we get in there I don't think I was prepared for the atmosphere... It wasn't anything out of the ordinary at a sporting event... but maybe it was b/c it was dirtier than a normal sporting arena, and i couldn't understand the chants and the yelling. 
  • So we start watching the match and at this point I realize that everyone, including us, is standing up. It's the first match of the season, so everyone's excited. Also, Sachin Tandelkur... the greatest of the greatest cricket players is playing... So rowdy crowd. The crowd behind us apparently doesn't like that people are blocking the views of others... In the US we might say, "Crap, I can't see anything... Oh well, I'll just hop around and hope to catch some of the game". In india they throw things... anything. At one point a half full mcdonalds cup comes flying past my head and hits someone. Woman and children were getting pegged with trash. Craziness. Surprisingly (sarcasm), everyone sits down and watches the match
  • The actual match was boring. Mumbai killed Delhi.
  • After the match I think theres only one more interesting thing that I can tell about the trip. So... we had to take an auto rickshaw to the metro station to get home... Thousands of people are outside, all trying to get one... We're having a hard time getting one. It doesn't help that the police are telling the auto rickshaw drivers to keep moving... we finally flag one down... mike and jean-luc get in... while im trying to squeeze in, the police are yelling at the driver to get moving... so the driver speeds off... i only have one hand on the thing and i'm outside of it, hanging onto the side railing... mike and jean-luc are yelling at the drive, 'stop stop!!!'... i don't think he knows very much english... anyways... i eventually pull myself inside and i'm ok. 
Moral of the story is... don't stand up at cricket games and don't forget that not everyone speaks english. Below is a pic of the cricket game and a pic of akshardham from my last post!



Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment