Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hindi

I haven't posted anything in the past week... primarily because there isn't anything to post, haha. I've been working a lot, reading a lot, and watching a lot of arrested development. Since life has been a bit boring lately I'll share something that I have been working on throughout the past 6.5 weeks... My hindi. I've never been interested in learning a different language, but when it can improve the quality of your life it becomes a necessity, haha. Katrina recently got the rosetta stone hindi version which we're anxiously awaiting, but I've been learning here and there in the mean time. I try to get people in the office to teach me a phrase or a word every day and it's been cool because I only learn things that I want to learn... so I end up remembering everything better. So once I've learned something I usually try to speak a little hindi to my co-workers throughout the day. It normally gets a laugh (since I'm still working on how to pronounce the words) or a 'Oh my gosh... that's so amazing'. From the latter, I think they're just being nice. At the same time I don't think they're very used to a pasty white guy speaking their native language. For fun here's a few Hindi words/phrases I've learned...

Mujhe mcdonalds jana hai - I want to go to mcdonalds
Mujhe KFC jana hai - I want to go to KFC... (you get the idea)
ye kya hai? What is this?
mere passe 30 rupees hai - I only have 30 rupees. (I use this on the rickshaw drivers all the time)
aap kaise hai? How are you
tike - Ok/fine
acha hai - I like it
Mujhe paani acha laga - I like this water (water is paani)
Kitna? How much?

These are the main hindi words I use/have learned so far. Hopefully by the time we leave I can hold my own in a hindi conversation.

See ya!

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment